View Single Post

Old November 30th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Ending EMDR before completion

Well, you might mean one of two things, 1) an incomplete session or 2) an incomplete course of treatment. I'm going to assume you mean an incomplete session.

I don't have enough information to make a case consultation valuable, but I'll say some general things that may or may not apply in your case. I mean that, the following may not apply in your case. I'm only putting out some general thoughts that explain the kinds of pickles some EMDR cinicians and their clients find themselves in.

EMDR practitioners must always screen for a dissociative disorder before doing EMDR to avoid premature lancing of dissociative barriers, or flooding. If a client is dissociative (and I'm not saying you are, because I don't know), a period of stabilization and containment is necessary to secure the safety and comfort of the system.

If and when EMDR is conducted on a dissociative client without appropriate protocol including stabilization and containment, the client may feel alot of pain (flooding) and be destabilized. The usual safety precautions must be taken, including hospitalization if the client is suicidal and can not ensure safety.

It is as if there were parts of the client sleeping, and their hammock was flipped upside down by the EMDR. Parts are startled and upset. The defensive amnesia barriers that have been protecting the rest of the self may not be available.

Sometimes the pain can be put in a container, like Tupperware, putting it in Tupperware, and putting the lid on the Tupperware, and putting the tupperware in a vault...and sending the vault down an elevator, can sometimes contain the pain.

The parts of the self can also do what they have always done, protect by building walls, brick by brick, brick by brick, to protect the self from the flooding.

Then the parts that got awakened by the EMDR need to be appreciated for their difficult jobs, promised that in due time they will have their story told and be helped (and that promise must be kept), and then tucked in, not forevr, but just so she can function and be safe.

After a period of upset, things will settle down and there is likely good that will come of the experience. However, EMDR should NOT be resumed until containment and stabilization are accomplished. The self system needs to be on board.

Now I repeat, the preceeding may be WAY off point and not apply. However, the above will address lots of the problems that occur with EMDR.

Any client upset by EMDR should talk to their therapist, and maybe show this post as well.