View Single Post

Old December 1st, 2004, 01:25 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Ending EMDR before completion

Again, the following may not apply to you but are some general comments. A client, dissociative or not, has every right to stop EMDR (or treatment) if they are getting worse instead of better. Protective parts of self are there for a reason, and sometimes they need to be listened to.

EMDR for a dissociative person is a complicated thing --- the therapist must know both EMDR and how to treat dissociative disorders. There are many good therapists who don't know how to treat dissociative disorders, and who skip stabilization and containment phases because they don't understand it is necessary.

Even when a dissociative person is doing EMDR after appropriate stabilization and containment, the work can certainly be overdone. If the client feels s/he can't speak up for some reason, the therapeutic twosome are at risk for reenacting old traumatic stuff out of awareness. (The therapist uses the power, and the client complies but gets hurt).

EMDR can be overdone and flooding can occur. Dissociative barriers can come down prematurely.

I always ask my clients if they are feeling raw from the work - whether they are dissociative or not. I don't do EMDR on dissociative clients for quite a while usually. Anybody feeling raw SHOULDN'T do EMDR for a while, and needs to consolidate efforts and gains OR take steps to put back in place any walls that came down before they should have.

Its the therapist's responsibility to know what they are doing and the client's responsibility to speak up and say, "I want to stop EMDR" if they are getting worse or feeling overwhelmed. One doesn't have to comply to authority.

Now, let me say that the dark places inside won't ever swallow one up so there is no return. The dark places are the things that have been disowned or dissociated because it was too painful. Strengthening ones resources and mobilizing an internal team of protectors, helpers, resources will help prepare for future EMDR work. One just needs more strength or positive resources than there is pain and darkness. That's what the containment/stabilization piece is all about.

I don't know if this applies, but if you show this to your therapist, if he's as good a guy as you say, he'll get consultation if he needs it. We all need it sometimes.

Sandra Paulsen PhD
Bainbridge Island WA