View Single Post

Old December 7th, 2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Discussion of CCWAA, Volume 3, Chapters III-V (Neurotic Traits, Dreams & Jung)

Trevor, I would like to add some more technical details on the anxiety-issue: Semantic differential was developed in 1950'ies by Osgood, Tannenbaum & Suci, and in Germany by P.R.Hofstätter. It was a method for studies concerning the (pragmatic) meaning of words. Hofstätter found three factors: positive outward orientation, negative outward orientation, and inward orientation. Osgood found also three factors, but they were different: potency, activity, and evaluation (good-bad). - According to Hofstätter, the profiles he found in a german and in american test-group for the word "Angst", for germans, and "anxiety" for the USA group, were not similar. However, for the US-group the words "anxiety" and "loneliness" were near each other. - Trevor asked what the definition for anxiety should be if it is not "anxiety". Good question. I am not sure we can define all possible intensional meanings of the words. What we with certainty can define, are the extensional meanings of the words. Here (defining the intensional meanings) I would look at the contexts of the words (where the words appear?) and the usage (in what situations are we using the words). I find that the word "Angst" has a more existential dimension than "anxiety". When Sören Kierkegaard is using the word "Ångest", the Danish equivalent of Angst, I find it a little bit difficult to translate it "anxiety". "Anxiety seems to me (I may be wrong) a more mundane concept that refers to some concrete existing situation, while Kierkegaard's "Ångest" refers to a purely existential feeling, before the infinite abyss of the riddle of life, death and God. - Or how do you feel? Am I definitely wrong?