View Single Post

Old December 9th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Ending EMDR before completion

There are ways to get inexpensive supportive therapy in many cities, or ways to make arrangements with ones therapist for adjusted frequency if the rate isn't adjustable, and it sometimes is adjustable if one asks about it.

I don't recommend people try to do EMDR for themselves, anymore than I'd recommend you drill your own teeth or remove your own brain tumor. The brain tumor is a better example, because you'd need the very organ you're working on to do the work and its hard to achieve. So leave the EMDR behind for now.

Stabilization is an ancient thing that goes by many names: relaxation, meditation, mindfulness are all pieces of it. Anything that helps one get grounded --- I have people concentrate on their five senses in the present time - smelling tea bags, feeling the ground beneath you, look at the shadows, feel the rain. These are all PIECES of stabilization.

Stabilization really happens when the parts of the self start pulling in the same direction, and some folks can just arrange that internally and some folks need help with it. Sometimes one can make a promise internally that one will, for example, save up for therapy for a specific period of time and then promise to follow through, if the self can help contain what needs to be contained.

No need to pick at scabs tho, memory work for dissociative folks is best done with help.

Those are my generall comments, and regrettably they aren't tailored to any given individual's situation, but best wishes to you on your personal pathway.