View Single Post

Old December 10th, 2004, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Is it important to change the client's dysfunctional cognitions?

Hi James---

Is it possible that the process is so hard because we don't really understand any of the most basic biological processes that underlies thought, affect, motivation and on and on. That possibly the automaticity of thought and affect are so interwined that they cannot really be separated, other than our proclivity to do so---- and that maybe when you try to change a system (the way the brain actually works) before you really understand it, that there is, by necessity, a lot of dancing in the dark?

I would enjoy a discussion that speaks about the uncertainities of cogntive therapists and what are the most pressing unanswered questions that cogntive therapists might have. And please understand I would ask exactly the same thing of any forum on this site. And believe me when I say, I have no allegiance to any particular theory or way of thinking. I am only asking if a certain kind of discussion is possible here.

What don't cogntive therapists understand yet that you think is crucial to understand about doing cogntive therapy with our patients/ clients.

Where do your uncertainities exist? Are we allowed to talk about such things?

Thanks,

Doug