View Single Post

Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:53 PM

Default Re: dealing with "internalizing" in children

That's a tough one. If he doesn't think that he needs to change anything, then he obviously doesn't want to be in therapy. Of course, someone does or else he wouldn't be there. Instead of questioning him directly about his problems - which places you in the role of hostile interragator - maybe you could begin the discussion by asking about the referral source.

For example, you may ask:
Why do you think X wanted you to come and see me?
Where might X get such an idea?
What do you think X thinks about this?

If he still denies doing or saying anything that might have caused X to refer, you might ask, "So if X really just sent you here without any good reason, then you must think X is just a bad person?"

Either way he chooses to answer this question, he's opened a door. If he denies that X is a bad person, then you can ask, "Well, if X isn't a bad person and has your best interests at heart, then he/she must've had some reason for wanting you to come and see me. What would you guess that is?" If, on the other hand, he agrees that X is a bad person, then you can begin gathering evidence for and against that belief.

I don't know, though. This could be terrible advice. It's just what popped into my head. Good luck.