View Single Post

Old January 9th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Associate Moderator

Lightbulb Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

Masculine Protest a start:
I quoted earlier that one about the hand that rocks the cradle ruling the world. Well it is just not true. granted a mother when she functions well, has a profound influence on the life of her child, but in the real world of mankind for far too long in recent history, and indeed for much of human history, women have been treated a less than men in almost all regards. Of the psychologies of his time, I believe that only Adler notices this sorry condition. He is the first modern psychologist who is a "healthy feminist". He sees clearly that men and women although physiological are somewhat different, they must be regarded as utter equals in the community of mankind. This is not happening and it may be used by a lady as an excuse from social contribution, or perhaps a weapon to rail against the injustice, instead of feeling and being free to be "one amongst the many" playing her fair and proper role and being regarded by men and women as an equal being. So ladies may choose to use this "fact" of societal construction to avoid the task of bringing their best contribution. They may also be in some regards, prevented from so doing, by the structure of our institutions and families because they are not regarded as having an equal and therefore valid view.
This is also a problem for men. If men must always be so strong and have all the answers, there is clearly no way they can do this. They may retreat from the task feeling overwhelmed, or they may attack the female sex to continue this unhappy subjugation. How many men play a full and balanced part in the family? Well from my generation, very few. A man might also feel it to be his "divine right" to have the last word and thus dominate women. This clearly removes him from the sage advice of 50% of the population which is not only unwise but also simply insane!
Now we do need to refer to some of Adler's actual writings in this regard. I have a number of his quotes from the "CCWAA" translation project that I hope to post and speak to a bit over the next few days.
Keep coming back. If my internet service is sustained this time, there is very much to talk about because this "masculine protest" notion is a key concept in understanding Adler!

Last edited by George Neeson; January 10th, 2005 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: spelling