View Single Post

Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: What uncertainties do we face in CT/CBT?

Yes, I understand (and in rethinking this I am familiar with this idea that cognition does not simply imply conscious thought). Of course, I'm still left wondering about the 'relative' simplicity of CT work when one considers trying to have a lasting impact on mental life that entails this constant stream of affects, mood, cognitions, inner life (the discussions and fantasies people have with themselves), interpersonal/familial transactions, perceptual transactions with the world at large, the long and short term memories that interact with all of this---much of it driven by automaticity). It is hard for me to shake the idea that attempting to intervene and create change-- and more importantly-- maintain those changes--- to be daunting. And yet when I read the posts here and review a lot of the archived posts, there is a kind of directness and again, simplicity and 'this is how it is' that disturbs me!! Like the word "schema"--I suspect that if we did nothing else but examine the 'ins and outs' of that word that there is a kind of nominalism at work here--- and yet the word is presented as if it implies some certain understanding of what we a talking about. But okay--I'm beginning to read Dr. Beck's book again, and I'll see if I can settle down about this a bit!!!

A separate issue I've wondered about has to do with the proclivity of the brain to revert back to previous patterns---to use old jargon--- the compulsion to repeat----just when we think that change looks like it has taken hold. Has CT taken a long term look at whether this happens? By long term, I mean going back to see previous patients 2, 3, 4 years later to examine the longevity of the changes?? I would be interested in reviewing that literature.

Thanks again for your time and patience with this!

Last edited by Doug William; March 8th, 2005 at 09:58 PM..