View Single Post

Old March 6th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Art therapy and sexual identity

You raise an interesting question. The underlying assumption is that sexual identity can be formed and that art therapy has or should have a role in such formation. Off course the issue of sexual identity itself is a very controversial one. There are reports of sexual identity of all variation naturally occurring in individuals. There are also reports of individuals who seem to move back and forth on a spectrum of sexual identities. I have not yet read anything to suggest that art therapy has been used to help a client “form” their sexual identity. I am not very clear myself how much nature or nurture or a combination of both determines our sexual identity. But I suggest that we need to tread this path with utmost care. What are we to “do” if a client has not yet formed a sexual identity or is questioning it? I suggest that the client is supported in working thorough it with a lot of patience and non interference. Many have strong views on how sexual identity should be formed. The danger is that art therapists knowingly and not try to influence the client one way or another which in my view is harmful. Regards, Hoda