View Single Post

Old June 4th, 2005, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Just started EMDR therapy...

i'm not a therapist or anything...so you can take my words with a grain of salt, if you wish...i have been receiving EMDR for a little over a year now.

i haven't had many positive "sensations" except that sometimes i have felt new hope and a realization that possibly some of my traumas have not been my fault or that I'm not "bad" because of them.

there have been other emotions, including anger and distress, especially with new realizations that I have trouble working them out. especially anger. my anger is there, but I think it is waiting for "permission" to come out, and guidance on where and how to direct itself.

i have been fatigued after a few sessions. a couple I couldn't even walk after a session and I nearly fell over. especially in the beginning I'd have dreams about the EMDR process itself, as I was getting used to the "new" way of approaching my traumas. I've always been one to have very vivid and elaborate dreams, so I have never really felt a change. Later on my dreams evolved into more about my actual traumas and how they relate to my current life.

My therapist has told me often that the processing continues after session, in dreams and even when you are awake. So though I'm not a therapist, I have had many a dream and in general, I think, dreams are the mind working on things. Though I have no proof. Also I don't know the science behind the eye movement and me and my therapist don't use eye movements...we use taps. She does alternating taps on my knees. Hopefully, one of the moderators on this forum can also give you some advice on all your questions.

But I just wanted to give you some of my thoughts.