View Single Post

Old July 7th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Headaches & EMDR

Hi Sandra,

I agree with what you have said and it is consistent with my own impressions of the client, which I have discussed with her.

She has tried everything - extremely effective energy work techniques which normally work for anyone - and remains "stuck", which was part of the reason I suspected dissociation.

I've tried talking about parts and tried doing some ego state work but I'm just kind of met with a blank expression and silence in return.

She is very stable in coping, however, and utilizes many very effective self-help techniques. Because of this, her apparently unconcerning DES score (although I never entirely trust that, from past experience), and because she was very insistent in wanting to try EMDR in spite of my reservations, which I discussed with her, I decided to proceed with caution. RDI was uneventful and truly even the EMDR session itself was not particularly eventful until the headache afterwards.

After the report of the headache, I suggested we back off from EMDR and continue with energy work instead which doesn't tend to have the same contraindications with dissociative clients (if done respectfully & with an awareness of parts).

Thanks for your feedback,

Carol Ann