View Single Post

Old July 7th, 2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Imaginal Nurturing

I am really sorry - all I wanted to know was if there were special instructions for using IN with people who are DID so that I knew if it was worth me looking into, purchasing the manual and/or taking the training if it was ever offered in my area again. The one time it was in the past, I missed it due to being on vacation at the time. My colleague who went told me that there weren't instructions for people with DID and so she was confused about how to use it with this population. Although it is not touted as being for people with DID, it is described as being excellent for dealing with those with attachment issues and early childhood trauma, and people with DID certainly fit that bill.

I actually was not speaking of necessarily switching to different introjector parts though I can see where that would be an issue as well - I meant switching back and forth between the child and adult self. Clearly I stand corrected if everyone would have that difficulty.

I have not said I am doing IN with clients - however part of my way IS to be a nurturing presence and to encourage clients to nurture parts of self, and utilize nurturing imagery as part of any EMDR (or other) treatment, and I have done so since long before I had ever heard of IN. I do recognize IN is part of an overall approach rather than just "plugging something into" part of treatment. I simply wanted to know how it might be used with DID clients - or mostly if there ARE instructions for how it might vary with this population - so that I would have some idea if I wanted to pursue training in IN. I work predominately with highly dissociative clients. I feel that I have more than adequate tools available already for less dissociative people, but that you can never have too many tools in the bag of tricks so to speak, when working with those who are highly dissociative. I really wouldn't be interested in pursuing IN training if it is not particularly beneficial for those with DID, or if addressing these more complex issues is not part of the training. There's not much point in me learning it for use with those with DID if at the end of training I am left wondering how to do that, as my colleague found herself. Again, it may very well be that she missed something or mis-remembered something - I have had this experience many times at workshops and months later when going over notes I find that it WAS covered but I didn't absorb it - hence the question.

I would have to hope that any good therapist working with clients with DID recognizes the inherent attachment and relationship issues with this population and incorporates a great deal of focus on the relationship as part of treatment. DID is in a sense, an attachment disorder, when it comes down to it.

Again, I didn't mean to cause a problem - I wish I'd never asked anything, it just seemed like a good idea April since you seemed to be here anyways and interested in discussing IN. It does make me wonder what the atmosphere of the workshop is like if this is how questions are responded to. Though my colleague did have only good things to say about the workshop and felt she learned a lot and enjoyed it - she just wasn't sure how to use IN when the client presents as being highly dissociative.

Take care,

Carol Ann

Last edited by Carol Ann Rowland; July 7th, 2005 at 10:37 PM..