Thread: discouraged
View Single Post

Old July 15th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: discouraged

The way a therapist addresses blocking beliefs depends upon the particular blocking belief.

As a few examples:

BB1: "Who am I if I don't have this problem?"

Solution: A therapist might ask the client to visualize that possible future without the problem, during bilateral stim, and either solving for or desensitizing any worrisome thoughts that emerge.

BB2: "I'll be disloyal if I say the truth about what happened."

Solution: Exploration of what year is it, where are you, are the people involved alive or dead, and more important, whose life is THIS, whose body is THIS, would it be okay if you were loyal to THIS BODY and THIS LIFE, since the others had their life and their decisions

EMDR practitioners say, as part of their instructions, "there are no supposed to's in EMDR. Whatever comes up is fine, there may be thoughts or emotions, body sensations or nothing at all. Whatever comes up, just notice it as if it were scenery through a train window." During the EMDR we don't say much, but the one thing we do say most often is, "Just notice it," or "scenery through a train window." We hope clients will just notice it and let it go by. We really don't even need to know the thoughts that came up during the EMDR, though people often want to tell us.

The very best stance ANY client can use during EMDR is to just notice the scenery and not worry about what they are going to say after the set of eye movements is over. When the therapist says, "What are you aware of," that's a great moment to notice what one is aware of at THAT very moment, not 30 seconds before. After all, the train has moved on in that 30 seconds.

Some therapists add, "blank it out, deep breath" before saying, "what are you aware of," so the client doesn't feel they have to hang onto every bit of scenery they just passed along the way.