View Single Post

Old August 15th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Question Re: From the ground up ... an Adlerian primer??

Greetings, esteemed members.

I am a "newbie" to this board, but a seasoned veteran when it comes to Internet message boards. I'm one of those socially inept weirdos that spends more time in the sanctuary of my home typing at people over the 'net than actually speaking to them in person. The username that I chose to use here is actually one that I use of several other communities as well. Please do not take it to be offensive; it is -- and trust me on this one -- the manifestation of a lifetime of self-introspection and awareness. (And too true, to boot.) I earnestly pray that you good people will forgive my need for anonymity here, but being the board vet that I am, I have seen more than my share of internet interactions go unbelievably awry, some actually resulting in police involvement, so flying under the radar is important to me.

You ask why many peruse yet few post? Perhaps this behavior would be an interesting topic of discussion? To what would Adler attribute this? Why are people afraid of exposing their ignorance?

(As you can see, I overcame that fear long ago. )

I am a brand-spankin' new grad student (counseling) working on my theory class. I took an entire class on Adlerian psych during my undergrad years, but alas, that was many, many moons ago ... (enter vintage violin music) ... and many brain cells have been laid to rest since then. I don't recall too terribly much about theory, but observing the adeptness with which our professor, Oscar Christensen (anyone know him?) handled young children changed my perception of behavior forever.

I've yet to read through this entire thread but I am finding several places where questions are solicited. So here is my question, and that which led me to it (I'll take Adler vs. Freud for $500, Alex!) :

My textbook tells me that Kefir designated the four personality priorities; what is the concensus on how well this relates to Adler's safeguarding tendencies? And along these lines, another question: if I understand correctly, Adler departed from Freud in that he came to believe that humans cannot be reduced to sex and aggression. How much, if at all, did Adler recognize the id, ego and superego? And is the personality priority of "comfort" just way of restating that our id will forever automatically stick its hand in the cookie jar first before anything else? Rather, is the priority of comfort just another way of satiating the id?

May the commentary commence.
SSLW