View Single Post

Old August 27th, 2005, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Inexperienced Therapists

Thanks for your response. I think that your last point is one major facet to resolve the problem. However, I have to wonder if some statement by leaders in your field have contributed to the problem. I heard one well known CBT therapist tell a story about how he trained nurses to do CBT work with their clients and they were as effective as therapists. I know that the operative words is "He Trained," but I am afraid that many do not hear that phrase. They hear "hey anyone can do this stuff." The other point I wanted to make is related to the language that CBT uses. I also think that this has contributed to the problem. I have heard therapists say that they often dispute what the client says (disputation). If you think about the general meaning of the word, when people get into a dispute, it generally is not very pretty. I believe that it would help greatly if authors were to address this issue directly in the strongest of terms. Finally, regarding supervision, it has been my experience that the supervisors are often just as bad.

I agree that we can not send out the therapy police. I also agree that it is silly to believe that one can learn CBT in a one day workshop. I think this is my point. CBT is deceptively simple to an untrained practioner and that is its danger. I know a bunch of executive coaches that say they do CBT. I doubt that they really do. Thanks for being so open minded about this issue. I really do have respect for you all.