View Single Post

Old November 17th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Forum Leader

Default Re: somatic/body oriented therapy

I should say that there are other kinds of "bodywork," including everything from Reiki to massage to energy methods to Feldenkranz to Polarities to Cranial-Sacral to I don't know what else.

In general, one must be very careful, whether in individual or group treatment, that someone has overall responsibility to oversee the total "dosage" and methods of treatment so trauma work isn't overdone accidentally.

I have found that when I am doing EMDR for a client, if the work is proceeding well they don't also need bodywork. But if the EMDR targets are exhausted and symptoms remain, or if the work is stalled or the person can't access bodily held traumatic material, then bodywork is a useful adjunct.

I insist on being the one to oversee the whole thing, because usually I know more about the total trauma picture, theory and treatment than the body workers. I value the addition of body work when its appropriate and titrated.

For someone who is dissociative, the risks are greater than for someone who isn't dissociative. A dissociative person is more likely to get flooded with too much accessing of material. A non-dissociative person has less tarumatic material to get flooded with, so its not such a big deal.

EMDR should not be done in a group.

Bodywork can't really be done in a group except for some bare bones accessing strategies.

Trauma work can't be done in a group because there is no way to accelerate or decelerate the material as is needed to accommodate each individual person.