View Single Post

Old July 29th, 2004, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Client vs. Patient

It seems to me that the terms of recognition we use might depend on the circumstances. For example, if we are trying to empower a client to have the ability to assert themselves without aggression, as we might do with the passive/aggressive personality, placing them in a position that enforces their anxiety with authority could be counter-productive.

I am currently working with such a client. Due to life experiences this person is either in a state of subservience or aggression. For instance, when the session is going off course or becoming unproductive if I play the authority card this clients becomes completely out of control and requires considerable patience to avoid violence. Under these circumstances I have found, and not just in this instance, that a client that feels their autonomy remains intact, that is they see themselves as dealing with an equal, then progress is made at a faster rate and with longer term positive consequences. Of course there are lines that cannot be crossed when applying this process. For instance it is beholding on the therapist to identify the difference between inappropiate validation, that is where a client may be seeking approval for inappropriate behaviours, and positive reinforcement when the client has applied an effective assertive behaviour.

Experience tells me that clients are much more likely to follow a role model they can easily identify with, for many of the above types it is because they unable to identify with the authoritive figure that they find themselves in therapy.