View Single Post

Old January 1st, 2006, 03:52 PM

Default Helpful for those who find no relief in CBT?

Hi, would it be at all accurate to say that EMDR might be of little use to someone who finds the founding ideas of CBT to be flawed, i.e.-that a given subject is an agent in their own life, that 'changing' one's mind is precisely what chronic GAD *prevents*. After four years of CBT, I've gotten no closer to alleviating anxiety at all.
I state this here not as a grievance against CBT per se, but to ask a more difficult question: If one's anxiety is highly *resistant* to many techniques of well-being (psychiatric, psychotropic meds, CBT, Gestalt psychotherapy, to name only three with which I am familiar), is EMDR an advisable therapy. Given the prohibitive cost of EMDR, can anyone advise vis-a-vis whether EMDR makes a radical epistemological break with previous treatments of trauma & anxiety or whether it emerges from a particular school/technique? I've had chronic GAD for eighteen years and am looking for miracles. Is EMDR advisable given that scenario? I don't expect concrete responses, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.