View Single Post

Old January 28th, 2006, 02:53 AM

Unhappy how much concern should a client show for a therapist?

Hello. I recently found out that my therapist was divorced this past summer (2005). I have been a client of hers for about 2 years now.

She did not tell me this news. (Not that I expect her to or that she needs to tell me that or that is it appropriate to tell me that.) I just was looking up information online about her services and found a post of "MARRIAGE DISSOLUTIONS GRANTED" which is published by our local newspaper. It was under the online header of the "(local newspaper name):OFFICIAL RECORDS:"

But now that I have this "information" (though I wasn't looking for it) I am concerned for her. Divorce isn't a great thing, no matter whether it is mutal or not. I might have been blind over the past several months to changes in her, and/or she professionally doesn't bring her outside world into the therapeutic world. She'd probably agree with the assessment of not bringing her outside world in, but we do feel closeness and trust, as I suspect is supposed to happen in a good therapeutic relationship.

Am I out of line to bring up my concern for her? I know it will be on my mind. But I also know she would most likely tell me, with a tender caring smile, "It isn't your job to take care of me."

And in a more generalize way, is it wrong to feel concern for your therapist and how much concern should/can a client show for their therapist?

Last edited by littlethree; January 28th, 2006 at 04:38 PM..