Thread: Desires
View Single Post

Old February 6th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Question Desires

As living human beings we all have desires, some are achievable and some are not. When a child desires something, which is not obtainable, a common technique is to distract his (/her) attention to some other object of desire, as a result of which the child apparently gives up the previous desire. As the child becomes older it becomes more and more difficult to distract him adequately. The object of desire may be small, for example a candy, yet as the child puts his every possible effort to obtain it and shows extreme frustration when failed and defend himself in several ways to ensure coexistence of his desire and the reality of impracticability, and continue to express his desire in his behavior and dreams, it appears that the small desire may be of much greater significance to him than it seems. I think, it is those desires that not only make the child unhappy within himself, but also make the parents end up hurting their child verbally or physically to make the situation worse. In spite of all these, I believe, it is possible to give up a desire completely and we all have such experiences.

Mr. Lankton, my question is, how do you encourage your clients to give up their unreasonable desires?

Chayan Das.