Thread: Free Will
View Single Post

Old February 12th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Free Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandra_k
We typically consider acts of type one (I hope I remember this the correct way) free. We typically consider acts of type two not free.
I guess I'm not typical. I do not consider any of those acts as free, in ANY sense. We accept 'innocent by reason of insanity', something in the person's 'psychology' 'drove' them to pull the trigger. I'm insisting that this is just a darker shade of gray. ANY choice we make is driven by our psychology at the time. That we punch the guy instead of shooting him is different in the eyes of society because of the relative consequences, and the non-shooter is seen as being a 'better' person, but there's nothing different besides the brain that made that choice (and I know you'd agree with that).

I'm willing to concede that humans can choose, I've used that term before; that the choice is predetermined does not make the consequences any less deserved nor the result any less important. We can, however, pity the perpetrator rather than fear or hate him.
Quote:
There is choice. But the choice is determined. There is no contradiction unless you thump on the table and say 'but choice isn't allowed to be determined by definition!!!!!'.
OK, we agree. But this, to me, is not FREE will. If you want to stick with 'choice', that's exactly what it is; but it's not FREE choice, as you have noted. Using Margaret's computer, one chooses door #1, but could not do otherwise. Yikes, I liked your answer in the other thread much better.

If Compatibilism is determinism + choice, I'm with you. If Compatibilism is determinism + free will, you're right, I have not read enough mind-muddling philosophy books to see those as anything but diametrically opposed statements, and I can't support the term.

And you're right in your posts in the other thread. I have little tolerance for philosophy that takes common words and then defines them so differently that you have to read volumes to figure out that they're saying something completely different. Defining a term 'compatibilism' is a great idea, using terms that are opposed: 'determinism' and 'free will', is not as much a great idea. Someone must have changed the meaning of one of them to the point where they probably ought to create a new word.

As long as I can focus on our identical definition of 'determinism', I can politely ignore your still-nebulous distinction in 'free will' that rubs my neurons the wrong way... Great posts, and thanks!!!
Quote:
regarding the 'maybe free will can arise from quantum indeterminicies' idea. Sorry... but that is a bad idea...
Agreed. I stupidly offered a straw man from you that I don't support myself. I shouldn't have wasted our time. And yet, I'm wasting still more by apologizing for it!!!