Thread: Free Will
View Single Post

Old February 12th, 2006, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Free Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H.
So on the one hand we humans lack free will in an indifferent world of a blind deterministic and/or random physical forces and genetic replication; and yet, nevertheless, it’s somehow my “illusions” (what, that 1+1=2 and that the infinite number of primes are objective truths?) that will cause our ultimate demise? Wow, that is scary, and so unfair somehow . . . or maybe it’s just laughable.
Thanks, Fred. I'm glad you replied and didn't insult me directly.

Math and primes are deemed 'objective truths' only because most everyone agrees and probably because everyone can work it out pretty much by themselves. Your extrapolation of someone's idea of entropy to mean God the Father Who Art in Heaven, is somewhat LESS than objective, at least to me because I do not accept it. So when you typed the number '1', it wasn't as cut and dried to me as it must have been to you. I'm actually quite good in math .

And, yes, my belief that we humans evolved many moral concepts all by ourselves allows me to treat everyone with respect and fondness. Your precept of everyone sinning and needing to bend to your imaginary beliefs (or what???) is what is scary. And not only because it puts everyone in the position of unearned shame.

Just let go. We are on the whole 'nice' people, otherwise we wouldn't have lasted long enough to evolve so far.