Thread: Free Will
View Single Post

Old February 12th, 2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Free Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret McGhee
That's why I'm not interested in convincing anyone that my view (deterministic) is the correct one. These discussions become just a chance for each of us to prove that we are more clever at logically defending our higher level beliefs than our opponent. Alex is doing a great job teaching us how to speak "philosophy" and keep our definitions dry as we joust.
Great points. This may sound clueless, or dishonest, or worse, but my goal is not to change Fred. I'm concerned about those who might read this in the future and have not yet formed such immovable views; I want them to know there's an alternative to Fred's view. That they don't have to kneel before an invisible god, or worse. I was hoping to get less qualified agreement so there wouldn't be an appearance of disagreement for those who don't take the time to delve into it. I'm very happy with the level of qualified agreement from you and Alexandra.

Besides, I KNOW that I'm "more clever at logically defending our higher level beliefs", just ask my kids. I'm practically perfect in every way .