View Single Post

Old February 13th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Forum Leader

Exclamation How can we liven up the discussion?

I've received a couple of queries recently from forum participants who would like me to find a way to encourage new participants to speak up more and to encourage more lively discussion on the part of all participants. In response, I'd like to get suggestions from forum participants:

1. If you're someone who visits the forum periodically but who hasn't posted anything yet - What are the barriers? What could we do to make it more comfortable for you to post your questions, comments, and opinions?

2. If you're someone who posted once or twice but who hasn't continued to post - Was there anything about the response you got that discouraged you from posting more? Do you have any suggestions about how we could encourage more participation?

3. Would it be a good idea for me to try to make a point of responding to every post so that people don't feel that their post was ignored?

4. Alternatively, would it be a good idea for me to respond less frequently so that participants don't get in the habit of treating the forum as though it's "Ask Jim Pretzer." (Remember, it's not my forum. I'm just the moderator.)

5. Would it be a good idea for "veteran" participants (other than me) to make a point of responding to posts by new participants?

Any other suggestions?

(If you're shy, feel free to respond anonymously or to send me a private message.)