View Single Post

Old March 1st, 2006, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Evolved Psychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H.
Stalin & Mao were punished by “society?”—They were the “society,” back when they were in charge. Hello?
The whole world is 'society', we did the best we could and did not allow them the ultimate power they probably craved. And the world doesn't remember them as heroes.
Quote:
“society,” nevertheless, has somehow, concurrently, been “destined” to “identify” & “punish” “antisocial behaviors”; and that that apparently, somehow, eliminates any implied “blindness”
No, I never said that society eliminates blindness. I've said repeatedly that our brains' capacity to weigh evidence and decide eliminates blindness. Our determined choices are not blind. I know this is a hard concept to grasp but it's very freeing once you understand it.
Quote:
the actual evidence continues to indicate that we humans do indeed have some amount of free will, and moral responsibility
There is no evidence of free will. No matter how many times you say otherwise. Your quote of my "No, we behave as our brains allow. This is proof that there is no 'Free Will'" was only slightly misleading. The preceding words detailed the fact that there's a module in the brain that supplies 'remorse' and 'regret', and that some people don't have it, is proof that there is no free will.

Without the feedback of a feeling that your actions are wrong, there's no way for you to stay on the course of your "moral responsibility"; your will is NOT free, it's at least dependent on the 'proper' development and functioning of this part of your brain. So this is evidence that there is no free will. You would not be proud at all of a Fred without this part of your brain and you would be unfairly doomed to whatever horrible consequences your religion threatens.
Quote:
Your doublethink and/or lack of rigor has become more tedious than I care to continue to respond to.
I understand the frustration you must feel toward my replies, and I'm truly sorry for that; it must be tough. I don't get into arcane nuances (on purpose), I don't get mad at you (because of my philosophy) and I don't get hurt by your insults and condescension (because, at the moment, you can't help it), so there's nothing left for you to do but address the 'straightforward' facts. Regardless, you are Fred and you are an important part of society.