Thread: Aspergers?
View Single Post

Old August 3rd, 2004, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Aspergers?

Thanks Sandra! My client seems to have a form of Asperger's which presents like schizophrenia; some communication problems, concrete thinking, paranoid ideas from time to time and withdrawal. They also have obsessional ideas, which I feel may be related to the trauma of systematic bullying over years rather than soley symptoms of illness. They used to be able to work full-time and live independantly, but the effect of the bullying changed this. Cognitively they function quite well and the treatment would be trying to takle the negative cognitions brought on by the trauma as opposed to treating the sypmtoms of or condition of Aspergers (I would have no idea where to start with that one as it is not really my field.) I have run an EMDR clinic weekly for about a year and a half now and have treated peolpe with a variety of ailments and conditions. I think EMDR could really help this patient overcome some of the effects of the bullying, but given the diagnosis i wanted to be cautious and ask for advice from people more experienced than myself. Have looked up several books,journals and web-pages and attempted to join what forums I could, to obtain some information on how or if to proceed, but, so far, to no avail. If anyone can help me, it would be most appreciated.