View Single Post

Old March 17th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Default Who's got rhythm?

Fred sed,
Quote:
OK Margaret, so the black man you once worked with, who you “sensed wanted to succeed in white culture,” claimed not to have any sense of rhythm; but let’s get back to Tom’s more controversial point—did this black man claim that he was as good as any white guy “at saving for a rainy (or snowy) day,” or that it was a cultural myth that blacks were worse “at saving for a rainy (or snowy) day?
I don't remember him saying anything about that. But, he and his wife who I became friends with were doing that. They were both working and saving for a down payment on a home.

Fred sed,
Quote:
Anyway Margaret, Tom already explained the loss of what you refer to as “genetic rhythmic influence”—“you can't play basketball while huddled in your igloo.
I thought it was a joke. Actually the Inuit I've read about spent quite a bit of time outdoors, even in the winter - and when inside it was often in rather large huts that easily accomodated dancing. Igloos were mostly for temporaray shelters when caught out in a storm etc. I'd highly recommend the film Atanarjuat; The Fast Runner which is the film version of a very old Inuit story that really does a good job of describing what Inuit life was like before snowmobiles and satellite TV.

Canada's Official Selection - Foreign Language Oscar® !Winner of 6 Genie Awards!
Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Editing, Claude Jutra
Best Canadian Feature Film (2001 Toronto International Film Festival)
Co-Winner, Guardian Award for Best New Director (2001 Edinburgh International Film Festival)
Grand Prix of the Flemish Community for Best Film (2001 Flanders International Film Festival - Ghent)
Special Jury Prize and the Prix du Public (Festival International du nouveau Cinema et des nouveaux Medias de Montreal 2001)
CTV Best of Fest Award (Next Fest 2001 - Digital Motion Picture Festival)
Best Film (ImagineNATIVE Media Arts Festival)
Best Feature Film (2001 Sante Fe International Festival)
Best Feature Film (2002 San Diego International Film Festival)
Audience Award (2002 Newport International Film Festival)
Audience Award (2002 Lake Placid Film Forum)
Best Film, Best Actor, Best Actress (2002 American Indian Film Festival)
Best Feature-Length Mountain Fiction Film (2002 Banff Mountain Film Festival)

Fred sed,
Quote:
Shouldn’t you be more curious about Tom’s POV that “whites are better at saving for a rainy (or snowy) day," whether he thinks it’s, as you say, “cultural or genetic,” and if, as you ask, genetic, “what happened in those successive waves of homo-sapien northern and eastern migrations that caused the [gain] of that genetic [saving] influence?
I don't think I've ever heard of any research that tried to find the "rainy day" gene and/or correllate that with skin color. Do you think this might be a generalized hoarding instinct that whites have or is it just to be used for hard times?

Margaret