Thread: Gerry
View Single Post

Old August 10th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Gerry

I too have struggled with some of the developing ideas already mentioned, in the context of my CBT practice. However, in a number of ways, the current practice of CBT, perhaps moreso for some disorders than others, does seem to emphasize acceptance and the processes of a person's psychology, and pays less attention to content .

For example, for quite some time now, it has been argued in the CBT literature and clinical community that challenging the content of the thoughts of those who are obsessive-compulsive, or who are worriers, often is not successful or advisable. Instead, in such cases it is advocated that there be an attempt to accept the thoughts as occurring, and more of an emphasis on assisting the person to not take them seriously, not react, to disengage, etc.. As well, people like Adrian Wells are less interested in the content of automatic thoughts, and will target meta-cognitions that contribute to the maintenance of something like the tendency to worry. Reid Wilson's recent work has emphasized not just acceptance of thoughts, but active "wanting" of them, in the service of then becoming less afraid of them. In the treatment of GAD, Michel Dugas advocates increasing the person's tolerance of uncertainty. In my reading of these developments, they have all occurred in the context of the evolution of CBT, and are very consistent with this so-called third wave. All this said, as others have already mentioned, it seems difficult to reconcile some apects/philosophies of each approach.