View Single Post

Old August 13th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Forum Leader

Default Re: Imaginal Nurturing

You nailed that one. Imaginal Nurturing is a procedure that will run afoul of many people's intrapsychic structure, because it will tangle with introjected perpetrators of highly dissociative clients, in many cases.

Imaginal Nurturing, coined by April Steele, is a means to have the adult self provide the nurturing to the inner child that was missing in the client's development. It relies upon adult ego strength to fill the gaps.

I like it, but I like better the original method offered by Landry Wildwind in the early 90's with EMDR, which involved remediating those internalized representations of parents, or introjects, so the child gets what they were always waiting for, Mom's (or Dad's) love. Of course, this internal exercise doesn't change the external parents in any way, who may even be in the grave. However, the brain doesn't mind this detail much, and soaks up with great affective intensity the longed for provision of love and respect and mirroring.

In no circumstance should either procedure be attempted for the highly dissociative without the practitioner being trained to treat the highly dissociative.

I get quite cranky when good methods like Imaginal Nurturing or other resource building procedures are exported to the highly dissociative without regard for how destabilizing this can be.