View Single Post

Old August 13th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Imaginal Nurturing

Yes...I wondered a little.

I can't comment on Imaginal Nurturing - the things I have heard about it are quite good. I am going to try it myself as a client and see how I find it (I have some pretty impressive introjects to contend with myself ), and if it feels ok I am going to consider training in it. However, I did buy the DNMS manual (though I did not take the training workshop) because it was touted as being non-destabilizing even with severely dissociative clients.

I was skeptical, but did try the technique a few times with clients who were somewhat dissociative but I do not believe to be DID. I am quite experienced and comfortable with highly dissociative clients, and also very experienced with EMDR...yet remain leary of using EMDR with DID clients because of the potential risks involved - I tend to use energy work which carries less risk of destabilization, generally speaking. I know that EMDR can be used with good results with extremely dissociative clients but I don't feel comfortable using it myself, especially given that I have other modalities that I use with good results.

The experience that I did have with DNMS is that it could be quite destabilizing - and that was with only installing the resources rather than processing trauma. I did work with introjects who appeared during the installation, and certainly clients gave good feedback about their experiences in sessions. They reported feeling wonderful and all would seem well. However, they tended to sometimes have bad backlash reactions afterwards and some became afraid to try EMDR again.

Some of the same clients I went on to use the traditional EMDR protocol with, and they did just fine with that. Go figure!

I do find it is useful to interweave nurturing imagery into the standard EMDR protocol, and have never noted that as being destabilizing. It feels like a back and forth dance, allowing a little of nurturance in at a time, so that the level of tolerance for/acceptance of nurturance is gradually increased...kind of like the attachment dance generally for those with attachment issues