View Single Post

Old July 12th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Default Re: free will, determinism, and morality

Just a quick question. When I consider this free will debate, it always seems to me to come down to whether or not human behavior is due to natural mechanisms inside the human central nervous system (even though we may not have a complete understanding of just how those mechanisms work physically) - or, whether there is some supernatural causation for human behavior - something that is beyond our neurons, synapses, neurotransmitters and other physical elements - some extraordinary mental force that can over-ride our physicality.

That's the end of the road I always find myself on.

I know where Tom and I sit on that question.

I'm not absolutely sure where Alexandra sits - although I would be very surprised that a Bright could seriously entertain supernatural causes.

I believe that Fred does attribute behavior to some supernatural mental force - although he's never described it and seems careful not to get pinned down on that. (Am I wrong about that, Fred?)

Free will almost means to me that we have a will that is free from our physicality. Although compatibalists use the term differently.

It seems to me that those who support some kind of supernaturally caused or abetted free will - have the burden to explain just how that supernatural effect comes to affect our behavior. We can see fMRI scans of brain regions lighting up as behavior decisions are considered and made. Where exactly is the supernatural effect inserted into that process?

Otherwise, what's the point of entering a scientific discussion in support of that view?

Any supernaturalists, feel free to educate me. Any naturalists, feel free to tell me why I may be asking the wrong question.

Margaret

Last edited by Margaret McGhee; July 12th, 2006 at 04:32 PM..