View Single Post

Old July 13th, 2006, 07:32 AM

Default Re: free will, determinism, and morality

Quote:
MM: I believe that Fred does attribute behavior to some supernatural mental force - although he's never described it and seems careful not to get pinned down on that. (Am I wrong about that, Fred?)
Well MM, since you yourself believe, as you’ve asserted many times, that you believe only what feels good to you, and use your brains to justify it, and that so does everyone else, then whatever I, or anyone else, happen to believe, ultimately can have no more significance to you other than it happens to be whatever happens to “feel good” to us.

Be that as it may, I don’t recall ever having “attributed behavior to some supernatural mental force” (and if I ever did, wouldn’t that instead imply that we humans don’t have freewill after all?). However MM, since you yourself believe only what feels good to you, and use your brains to justify it, then you undoubtedly will believe that what I’ve “asserted” is whatever you happen to believe is what I’ve asserted, so long as it feels good to you, and then you’ll use your brains to justify it . . . so essentially, this has all been for naught. Hello?

Also, for those who don’t just believe only what feels good to you, “supernatural” seems to be another one of those meaningless terms since we don’t really know a whole lot about what exactly is “natural” (e.g., there are many interpretations of the “measurement problem” in QM, and what it implies regarding what’s natural or real; or since we really don’t truly begin to understand the how and why of human consciousness, we conjure up buzz words like “emergence” to mask our ignorance).