View Single Post

Old July 13th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Default Re: free will, determinism, and morality

Er... I'm not sure how much it helps discussion to parody / caricature / scoff at other peoples views, rather than attempting to engage with them.

Do you think that Margaret caricatured your views on freedom? I'd be interested to talk about libertarian free will and reasons why I don't believe in supernatural causation (in fact I think Tom wants to discuss that too).

There is indeed trouble with how to characterise the natural vs the supernatural. I like this quote from Tye:

'There have been any number of different ways of understanding the term 'natural'. So different philosophers have had very different conceptualisations of what it is to be a naturalist about a given domain, for example, the mental. The intuitive idea, I suggest, is simply that, on the naturalist view, the world contains nothing supernatural, that, at the bottom level, there are microphysical phenomena, governed by the laws of microphysics'..
'Ten Problems of Consciousness: A Representational theory of the phenomenal mind', Michael Tye.

And basically that once god fixed the micro-physical facts and the laws of nature (whether they be deterministic or indeterministic) he fixed all the natural facts about the world. (If you fix the physical facts then you get the chemical facts for free and the biological facts for free and the psychological facts for free etc). God only needed to fix the microphysical facts and the laws of nature and then he could rest. All the physical facts were settled :-)

(One can worry about facts about consciousness, ethics, mathematics, logic and so forth... These might be non-natural phenomenon... I guess one might want to argue that they are super-natural phenomenon... Interesting questions about whether these facts can cause changes to the physical world e.g., can we grasp mathematical facts? Ack. I'm giving myself a headache).

He also talks about different senses of emergence. There are different notions of emergence, I was just wanting James to clarify what kind he meant so I could engage with his views a bit more...