View Single Post

Old July 18th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Emotions versus Reason?

Quote:
Alex: Yes Fred. If I had more time I would post shorter posts. May seem paradoxical but the process of clarifying and editing and saying things simply is the most time consuming of the lot...
I agree it’s not paradoxical that it takes time and thought to say/write/form things clearly and concisely, to be at least somewhat rigorous and consistent, to provide ideas, concepts, and questions that are actually worthy of consideration by others—and often, just adhering to the general rule that “less is more,” can be helpful. Try it, you may like it, and find in the long run that you’ll accomplish much more.

I tend to strive for such myself, and I suspect that that’s a reason some here are apt to get flustered whenever they attempt to push their half-baked BS—when I respond, I tend to be clear, concise, rigorous, and consistent, and I tend not to sugarcoat the reality that their half-baked BS is half-baked BS, that their baby is ugly. Go back thru the various posts of various threads, and I think you’ll agree that my posts are generally more interesting and consistent and make better points than most others, although mine typically have an edge; but then that makes them more interesting and worth reading.

Regarding somewhere in your last post where you consider, “Is experiencing fear more like feeling pain or seeing red?”—Difficult question, maybe even a stupid question, but what the hey, I’ve considered it myself on occasion, and, so far anyway, here’s what I’ve come up with—

“Fear” rarely, if ever happens in a vacuum, and generally seems to be accompanied by the other primary emotions of anger and perhaps sadness, and possibly disgust. Also, the so-called secondary emotions of shame, guilt, despair, etc., generally seem to accompany fear, so all in all any specific “experiencing fear,” or any specific “feeling” of fear, seems to be difficult, if not impossible, to isolate. Nevertheless, I do recall a time in my adolescent years, having just done something I shouldn’t have, and having been found out by some random adult and chased—as best I recall, “fear” was the only emotion that was triggered in that instance, a pure fear if there is such a thing (unhampered by anger, shame, despair, dread, etc.), and the energy that I got from it, probably adrenalin, along with an available escape route (I didn’t get caught), resulted in an exhilarating feeling —my “fear,” and I suppose the escape route, enabled me to survive and win. (If there had been no escape route, other emotions like anger, despair, shame, etc. would have kicked in, which, I think, many confuse with the experiencing or feeling of fear.”)