View Single Post

Old July 19th, 2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: free will, determinism, and morality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H.
you both, generally, will not hesitate to somehow hold me (and others) responsible for whatever view/behavior that I/others may have that is contrary to whatever you happen to deem appropriate/reasonable
Yes, I reply for a mixture of 3 reasons:
  1. In the remote chance that I can affect the chemicals in your brain in such a way as to have you change your POV, ever so slightly.
  2. In the chance that others with your POV read this and realize that yours is not the only POV.
  3. To fight back against your rudeness. As I've said, though, I don't blame/hate you for being you; I know that you actually have no choice as long as you maintain your POV (which I doubt will ever budge).
All of these reasons are valid no matter how deterministic I believe the universe is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H.
I suspect that most of the civilized world will never truly buy into the half-ass notion that we humans are “ultimately” no more morally responsible than dogs
I believe that is why most of the 'civilized' world acts in such an uncivilized manner. My way is better, since, despite your attempts to mischaracterize my POV, not blaming does not imply not punishing.