View Single Post

Old July 29th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Default Re: free will, determinism, and morality

Quote:
[MM asks:] I don't mean this post to be sarcastic. I really would like to know what it is about my premise - that we make behavior decisions according to our subconscious prediction of how we will feel (better or worse) as a result of that behavior….
Undoubtedly folk often do make various behavior decisions based on their emotional predilections. Certainly, children, animals, machines, and/or the truly insane do all the time. But the rest of us sane adults, with our cognitive consciousness, will often take other factors into account; as the human ability to comprehend objective (mathematical) truth, and then use that truth/measure to comprehend the reality of our world, attests; and as moral responsibility attests; etc.

The problem is that MM’s circular “premise,” her strongly held belief, that “[she] makes behavior decisions according to [her] subconscious prediction of how [she] will feel (better or worse) as a result of that behavior,” utterly precludes MM from ever seeing or comprehending or acknowledging any reality or truth that contradicts that outcome. As they say, “Give a beggar a horse and she’ll ride it to Hell.”