View Single Post

Old September 13th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Default CBT, religious faith, current events....

Greetings everyone,

I am working with an exceptionally intelligent and well-read individual who has been regularly researching philosophical, theological and political ideas for years. A victim of anxiety (also for years), he has successfully built a cognitive system that supports anxious thoughts and beliefs with religious premises, philosophical concepts or 'proof' from current political events.

To demonstrate: feeling unworthy, humble and submissive is a premise of being a good Christian, and is the essence of being human - hence a worthy goal to strive for in self development. Being a victim and sacrificing is the ultimate path to eternal life.
Competition and pride in achievements and in self are viewed negatively for the same reason.
Feeling insecure, unsure, and always judged is the (proper) human condition (though in this case it is clearly a result of childhood abuse). It is, for this individual, a moral goal.
Dread from 'the government' is easily supported with daily refernces in the press about threats to individual freedoms brought about by the current wave of 'the war on terrorism'. There is much more.

I am confronted with a well reasoned, well-supported system of beliefs that makes my task very hard because confronting religious premises seems unethical as well as useless to me. I find it hard to create doubts in this person's prevalent (and 'proven') political assesments, as well as his premises of faith, yet his anxiety feeds on those freely.
There have been some success as far as personal and family issues are concerned, but I am really hesitant how to approach basic attitudes which are anxiety driven but so well justified by deep religious faith and political insight.

I'd appreciate suggestions for approach, and/or recommended references about the topic.
Thanks.