View Single Post

Old September 14th, 2006, 10:17 AM

Default Re: New Yorker: Neuroeconomics (Mind Games)

Quote:
MM: I hate to run over here and say "I told you so" every time a study comes out that seems to support my hypothesis....
I guess MM is referring to her so-called “emotion theory of behavior choice,” her so-called “axiom”—that declares that “people believe [only] what feels good to them - and use their brains to justify it”—with her (rather presumptuous/laughable) "I told you so" comment.

Trouble is this “framing effect”—that how a question is posed can skew decision-making—is old news. It’s been known for some time that many folk are indeed less objective than others, that some (e.g. MM) allow irrational emotion/feeling to influence their “reasoning” far more than those of us (e.g. Fred H.) that tend to be more objective and are more inclined to use the orbital and medial prefrontal cortex that God/evolution gave us

While the study confirms what is already well known, that “emotion” obviously plays a big role in human decision making/ reasoning, it in no way confirms MM’s circular notion that all humans believe only whatever feels good to them and “use their brains to justify it” (although for MM herself that seems to be the case).

Nevertheless, the De Martino brain-imaging study does provide some cool pics of neural activity.