View Single Post

Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Andrew Brown on Dawkins and Atheism

Quote:
[MM to Todd:] I'm not sure what's going on in this thread….
True enough.
Quote:
[MM to Todd:] I don't pay much attention to Fred's posts since he just keeps repeating some absurd notions he seems obsessed with.
I’m hurt; but regarding obsession with absurd notions, I’d say MM is projecting.
Quote:
[MM to Todd:] My discussion was about epistemology - not morality….

You say that I am making no sense to you. However, your criticism sounds more like I said some things that you found emotionally unpalatable - for whatever reasons.
Well, since MM believes that “knowing is an emotional process,” and that “rationality is not knowing,” I suppose we can imagine how MM might actually perceive that her “discussion”—on whether “religion causes humans to do good or bad things” and on her theory that “belief is the strongest source of the emotions that guide most human decisions”— was actually somehow “about epistemology.” And since, according to MM’s so-called “emotion theory of behavior choice,” her so-called “axiom,” that “people believe [only] what feels good to them - and use their brains to justify it,” we can also see how it is that MM will perceive virtually any “criticism” of her POV as being something that is merely “emotionally unpalatable” by whoever is making the criticism.

So, in an odd sort of way, there actually does seem to be a more or less rational explanation for MM’s irrational (and circular) view of things.