View Single Post

Old September 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM

Default Re: CBT, religious faith, current events....

John, thank you so much for responding.

I assure you, if I thought his way of thinking was so crazy and out of line, I wouldn't bother addressing this forum, and I would probably have accessible tools to cope with this.... My problem is precisely the fact that the entire system of thought is so well grounded, supported and convincing on one hand, yet a source of anxious thoughts that generate severe symptoms on the other. I have not confronted his belief system to date due to my instinct, my ethical views, my perception that he is extremely unwilling to do so, and my inability to cope with such a well grounded system anyway. I have also been aware of the creativity it fuells - I feel deep respect for his art and writing talents.
I believe we established mutual respect and trust in each other's honesty, and I have no intention of forfeiting that.

I cannot, however, drop my working hypothesis as you suggested...
One thing I have no doubt about is the degree to which his childhood history has contributed to his anxiety. Please accept my evaluation; I assure you it is well grounded. This person is very verbal and has a writer's ability to describe vividly many specific events and situations from his childhood, which I am now very familiar with in detail. I marvel at his will and strength to cope with his past as well he has, anxiety notwithstanding.

I have taken it upon myself to do precisely as you and the other colleagues recommend, in other words to work within this person's belief system. I addressed this forum precisely because this has been my own instinctive approach, yet I felt unsure about not descending deeper into schemas and causes of anxiety. This person's entire philosophical system is a system which has served to support him through an otherwise unbearable history (severe physical and emotional abuse, violence and abandonment, no love, support or security at all). On the other hand, it is this well reasoned system that presently generates and feeds anxious thoughts, which manifest as severe symptoms.

I addressed this forum because I was unsure how to deal with this interwoven mesh where anxiety is so intimately associated with a personal history, yet so well supported with logic and reason, faith and political insight that turn upon themselves to feed the anxiety yet further.
Will I be neglecting something by working only within his belief system? Do I need to come to terms with the fact that there is only so much I can or should do, and not attempt to deal with deeper schemas? These are the questions I tried to find answers for in this forum, and I find the support, answers and ideas I receive here very helpful.

Far be it from me to underestimate this person. Far be it from me to belittle such a well thought out and supported system that is so nourishing to him.
It is myself I am doubting here. When I stay within his belief system we cannot deal with the roots of the anxiety. I asked myself if I am still providing adequate counselling.

By the way, there can be no priest, or pastor, or other representative of any institutionalized religion in his life, because churches and doctrines are viewed as power structures that corrupt the true faith. He disagrees with doctrines, and I can't blame him: I can't honestly refute these views (again).

Some of your ideas, John, are good for me to develop further and work on, and I will certainly do that. I especially like #1-3.

Thanks for all your help !

Janet.