View Single Post

Old September 27th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Default Re: CBT, religious faith, current events....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healer
It's emotional. He's not going to be able to logic his way out.
1)Of course it's emotional - even the most rigorous systems in philosophic thought rest on premises or axiomes we either embrace or reject for reasons that are deeply personal and have little to do with logic.
Emmanuel Kant, for instance, is unanimously accepted as a thinker who broke ground and created immense impact on modern civilization. Yet many find it hard to resonnate with him, and consider him cold and detached from 'the human condition'. Dig deep enough into his personal history and you will discover the 'whys'. Dig deep enough into the personal history of his followers or opponents and you will also find the 'whys'. The same goes for diametrically opposed thinkers from Plato to Sartre, for political activists and for spiritual leaders. The stronger the stand, the deeper the 'whys'. We identify accordingly....
We choose the axiomes and conclusions with our hearts. We then use our minds as tools to better serve and justify the heart. I have no doubt that my client is no different.

2)He is not trying to 'logic his way out'. He is not looking for a way out at all. I daresay he doesn't even want to change....not in the deep sense of the word. He once said to me: "you help me make sense of the whirlwind": it's the whirlwind he creates with, and it's the 'making sense' that he applies to the mundane side of his life, relationships and work-demands. He wants and needs both, and is very aware of both the empowering and debilitating aspects of his emotions.
I don't see the role of therapy as 'finding a way out', but rather as 'working better with that which is a given'.... opening up additional resources, offering tools to cope better.

3) I realize that meditation, Yoga, alternative medicine and other approaches outside of psychotherapy can benefit people. Forgive my shortcomings, yet I personally can only bring myself to see them as additional tools. Allow me to make a provocative comment: I believe that even just ONE very suitable life partner can have the soothing, comforting, validating, empowering and healing effects that some therapies offer
I also feel that each client responds best to a specific, tailored approach.
This particular person is a thinker. That's what he likes to do....use reason...
challenge himself...

I can only walk the path that I personally believe in most, and it is up to the clients to choose according to what they feel suits them best. He is well acquainted with various options on the market, yet he acknowledges significant achievements by means of CBT. As long as he feels that way and I have more to offer, I don't feel justified to turn him away. He seems to believe in the benefits of the method and to enjoy the challenges it offers.

All that said, I am keeping an open mind, I re-evaluate progress continually, and I have no qualms about referring clients as a rule. Thank you for making me rethink this

Janet.