View Single Post

Old September 28th, 2006, 09:41 PM

Default Labelling and Probabilities

I'm currently working with an individual who, by some intelligent twists of logic, is having difficulty accepting that labelling and jumping to conclusions are indeed cognitive distortions. I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas to help.

Firstly we have gone over how labeling is erroneous. I have explained how it is innaccurate to make definitions based on particular actions, but my client insists that there is nothing wrong with this since we do it in everyday language for all things. My client used a few examples, one was that of a person who plays piano being correctly referred to as a pianist and another was a meat eater being correctly defined as a carnivore.

Secondly, we have gone over jumping to conclusions. My client has difficulty going outside for fear of encountering youths and being accosted. We have gone over how this is an example of fortune-telling but he insists that for him it is simply a matter of probability. He believes that by staying at home he minimizes the probability of having any such encounter, but by going out regularly he raises the probability.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions or ideas. Thank you.