View Single Post

Old October 28th, 2006, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Medicating children with ADD

I think that ADHD isn't a natural kind.

If you take a bunch of people with a dx of ADHD then some of them benefit from medication and they probably wouldn't benefit as much from other interventions.
If you take another bunch of people with a dx of ADHD then some of them benefit from alterations in diet so that they aren't eating such high amounts of additives and preservatives and sugars and they probably wouldn't benefit as much from other interventions.
If you take another bunch of people with a dx of ADHD then some of them benefit from alterations from their environment so they aren't being sexually, emotionally, and or physically abused at home anymore and they probably wouldn't benefit as much from other interventions.

Whether a kid meets DSM criteria for ADHD or not depends on their meeting behavioural criteria. The DSM doesn't say anything about WHY they meet criteria.

I imagine most kids would benefit from a combination of interventions. Parents (and teachers) could benefit from learning techniques to manage their behaviours so they aren't so disruptive. Parents could benefit from learning about the role of certain kinds of foods (though the availability of healthy foods might be problematic for some parents). Medication might benefit...

The studies that have been done on the medications are controversial.

There is some evidence that some children's behaviour settles down considerably with medication, yes.
There is some evidence that some children might have long term problems (neuroglogical and / or psychiatric) possibly... induced by the medications.

So...

For that reason...

I would take medication to be the last resort while being fully prepared to admit that some children seem to find considerable benefit to it.