View Single Post

Old February 19th, 2007, 10:55 PM

Default Re: When to end therapy

Well...some decisions have been made, though I'm not sure if anyone needs to know. (By the way, I'm the client, sorry.) I've decided to take a break from therapy for 1 to 3 months.

My therapist said she was "mixed" about me taking a break, for safety reasons that I won't get into.

I went through a list of pros and cons of me taking a break. "Cons" largely revolve around me either: (1) hurting self or (2) not returning to therapy ever again or (3) me degenerating further back into myself (as opposed to coming out into the world).

But most of me wants to take a break. I'm feeling so stretched thin --- between work and therapy and "regular life". i can't take a break from work and I can't take a break from "regular life"...so the only thing left is "therapy". So, while she is still mixed, we expected to have some safety rules and to have some "goal" of the break set up...even if it just to literally take a break from thinking so much about all my issues. Also, that if I have not come back to therapy in 3 months, that she would call me so that I wouldn't give up therapy completely.

I feel such connection with my therapist. And that is rare. I rarely feel connection with anyone. And if I decided to quit therapy forever with her, I doubt I'd go back to anyone. Trying to find and build a relationship with yet another therapist is just too daunting and depressing to do yet again.

I like the notion of a "team" approach...it takes a "village" to raise a child.

we'll see if i actually return after a 1-3 month break.......or actually we'll first have to see if I last even one month.

thanks and sorry