View Single Post

Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Global Warming Cools Down

Quote:
[JimB said:] I told you so...
Hey, I told you so too. Recall my prescient post from from over a year ago on 11/28/2006----

Quote:
Christmas and global warming

Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is….
Well, it’s that time of year again, a time to consider our blessings . . . but I’m wondering, is “global warming” a fact? Should I be concerned?

Well, the available data for the past 100 years does seem to indicate an upward trend in temperature, especially for recent years/decades; although the data for the past 1,000 years isn’t quite as persuasive; and beyond 1,000 years things really tend to get rather sketchy, although we’re reasonably certain that millions of years ago North Dakota was warm enough to have palm trees and alligators.

Nevertheless, I suppose it’s not terribly unreasonable to connect the current upward trend in temperature with increased human pollution, especially when we factor in the hot air coming from alarmists like Al Gore.

OTOH, considering the unreliability of weather forecasting models for more than a few days into the future, I find projections of large temperature increases over the next 100 years to be less than compelling.

And let’s face it, if the terrorists don’t manage to nuke us into oblivion, or the bird flu doesn’t manage to mutate and destroy us, the unavoidable long-term trend is that the sun is burning out—one way or another, our extinction draweth neigh.

So my advice to the Al Gore crowd is to relax. Breath. Enjoy the season. Sing. And for those that have more of an atheistic bent, here’s a version of Silent Night that may be more to your liking:

Indifferent universe, pitiless universe
No design, no purpose
Blind physical forces and genetic replication
One way or another, we’ll go into extinction
We are an accident
We are an accident

The bad news for Al is that he may have to return that Nobel thingy, which may hurt his chances for another run at the White House; but the good news is that he no longer will have to buy carbon credits to offset his oversized house, his SUVs, and his mindless jetting around the world to promote his idiotic movie and blow hot air up everyone’s ass.

Last edited by Fred H.; December 22nd, 2007 at 07:31 PM..