View Single Post

Old September 13th, 2004, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Discussions of Adler's Journal Articles, Volume 2, Chapter I

As previous writers, I was impressed by Adler's accurate understanding of the economic, financial and social conditions in Austria-Hungary a century ago. I myself worked for a number of years in the Institute for Occupational Medicine here in Helsinki, Finland. I worked in the Department of Psychology, and I was deeply impressed by Adler's careful assesment of the social and economic inlfluences on human health. There are possibly some readers of this paper who need to study more closely the social conditions in fin de siècle - Vienna. Boyer has published on the social and and political history of Austria-Hungary during this period, and he demonstrates the political consequences of the recent social conditions. Consult also the books by Schorske, Toulmin&Janik, and Brigitte Hamann. - Adler's paper describes social and economic conditions that still prevail in many developing countries. It is a well-known fact that the big international companies use the local work-force in some of the poorer countries in the manner described by Adler a century ago. These international companies make orders to some intermediaries who employ the local people in their homes. This is the "cottage industry" described by Adler. I don't want to tell you more about the working conditions there. There is no need to describe them. This work is done already by Adler. - Adler's text is terse, grim, short, accurate and fully packed with information. He knew already exactly what we learned a century later when we studied the WHO-definition of health: "A state of complete social, psychological and physical well-being." What Adler says about ailing the situation sounds very much like the scandinavian model that is so familiar to me: organize production so that the work is done in large firms. Then, employers and the workers can negotiate on equal terms, and the government has some control over the working-conditions. What I fear is that in the globalizing world the future may once again be very much that described by Adler. If you read carefully Adler's paper, you can see that he actually speaks about the problems of globalized industry. See page 3 beginning "The customer's desire to make a selection..."

Last edited by Manu Jaaskelainen; September 16th, 2004 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Some minor revisions