View Single Post

Old September 14th, 2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Praying in session

This is really a difficult subject. Anna, you believe God changed you. I don't believe in God as people usually conceive of him/her/it, but I understand what you're saying and will not argue with you. My own view of personal change is that there is an inner well of authenticity that we draw upon in order to bring our perceptions and behavior into line with our values. There are many ways to access this well, and IMO they all involve letting go of the normal human dynamics associated with ego - primarily attachment to the desire for things to be different from how they are. Some people believe that God opens the inner doors, and that's fine. To me it's a metaphor, but what do I know? If I believed in God as you do, I'd probably just nod my head and say to myself, "She has it right."

I think it's important to not give anyone credit for the change. It happened, and that's good enough. After all, credit - and it's counterpart, blame - are just more manifestations of ego, which is the problem in the first place. Something happened within you and that's all that matters. If you want to look at how it worked, great. But ultimately we have our lives to live, so it seems to make sense to learn about the change and use it to improve other areas of your life.

Our need to know intellectually can be so great it obscures what we know intuitively.

Be well, stay well.

Dave