View Single Post

Old August 10th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Default Re: clinical autonomy in an agency

Not being a therapist it seems to me that some of the general work place rules of engagement would work in this situation.

All of it of course focused on the CYA and document, document, document rule of thumb.

First whenever you see your supervisor do something or make a judgment call that you believe jeopardizes the clients - document it. Might not ever use it, but it might come in handy. Should things get really tense this could mean the difference as to who keeps their job. I would go so far as to also assume that she is already doing this.

Then if your supervisor ask you to do something that either jeopardize your license or the clients it seems obvious to me that you cant do it. Ethically and morally I cant see how you can do something you consider jeopardizing to your clients.

So - time to document. Document why you consider this request to be a danger to the clients. IE if an intern is not ready to do the work, document in what ways that intern is not ready to do the work, document the instances that give you this understanding. Write them down. Keep an official "work diary" with daily notes.

Then write a note to your supervisor and to sr. management with your documentation, stating your point of view that you cannot ethically do this task - and this is why.

For instance if you are asked to jeopardize your license with an unqualified intern you need notes that shows this intern is unqualified to begin with. Then you write an official letter to management. That consists of this intern is unqualified for this and this and this reason. I am not able or willing to jeopardize my license until the intern has been brought up to a certain industry wide standard. I find it outside of the scope of my job to bring this intern up to that standard while on my license. If I am requested to bring the intern up to that certain standard, then I will not allow the intern to be on my license while he or she does remedial work.

Make sure that you hold on to documentation about the other professors and professionals you have consulted in this case. Keep the date and time of your conversations. Keep notes about the content of the conversation, and keep a receipt of any payments you made for the advice.

Please remember that no matter who is your boss your license is the rest of your life's livelihood, and there is only one person who is responsible if you do take on someone who is not qualified and that person screws up. Its not your manager.

Come up with some other ideas on how to approach the different challenges, and be willing to work with management on alternative solutions.

Yes - this will make things tense, time to develop a thick skin. "The Egg" will definitely be ticked off, and quite possibly the people above her are going to recent the waves you create.

Other options are to either leave a little faster, or to do what she says. If what she says jeopardize your license and even worse your clients well being then I am not sure how you can even consider it.

Last option, I dont know if might work in this specific case. It is the teenagers shining it on option. "Sure I will do that right now" ("Yeahh right you bonehead - in your dreams!")

Do you work, do it well, and excellent documentation will make it at the very least hard to fire you until you are ready to go.

Dont ya LOVE the CYA dance? (The only dance I do is the one of joy for being out of a corporate environment)

Da Friendly Puter Tech
(who really has changed careers a few times while using this moniker)