View Single Post

Old October 15th, 2008, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Anti art therapy

I understand the sentiment but I do not agree. First, I know of places like this who not only say its not therapy, and follow it with what they do is better, which I believe is what this site is doing as well.
Second, and more importantly, by saying anyone can do this makes me wonder why we do all the work and study we have done. I work at a site where untrained people do art with severely mentally ill people, some as therapists and some as artists. I see how their lack of knowledge hurts the clients.
I agree that you need not be a master to appreciate the making of art and that everyone should do it. But I feel very strongly that persons who are doing art with people with any type of special needs need to understand the process and know what they are doing.
You all know how extremely benefical it is to give a person a safe setting and the right materials. Giving the wrong materials, not providing that safe setting, not understanding the process can have an extreme effect as well, it is not beneficial and can be quite harmful.