View Single Post

Old October 4th, 2004, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Parallels to Adlerian Psychology

I have recently studied a new biography of the great Russian writer Alexander Pushkin (T.J.Binyon: Pushkin. A Biography. HarperCollins 2003). It is now available as a paperbound edition, and it contains xxix+731 pages. Numerous maps, illustrations and graphs increase the information-value of this fine biography of the great Russian genius. All good biographies make psychologically a very interesting reading, and this book by T.J.Binyon is especially interesting from an Adlerian point of view. The author starts the book with a citation by Pushkin himself: "What business is it of the critic or reader whether I am handsome or ugly, come from an ancient nobility or am not of gentle birth, whether I am good or wicked, crawl at the feet of the mighty or do not even exchange bows with them, whether I gamble at cards and so on. My future biographer, if God sends me a biographer, will concern himself with this." In this citation, Pushkin defines himself his most important personal problems. One should add, perhaps, his relationships with the many ladies he met during his relatively short but colorfull life. Binyon provides us with a first-rate description and analysis of Pushkin's psychological, social, and cultural background, not to forget his innumerable and never-ending financial troubles. All this is done in a very sympathetic manner. In the end, the reader has a feeling of being a kind of Pushkin's confidant. Binyon's book helps to develop understanding between different cultures, because he has so intimate knowledge himself of Russian culture and society. The writer helps to demystify the concept of a special Russian "folk-mind". What Pushkin feels, says and writes, is perfectly understandable for a modern reader if he or she takes the pains to study this excellent biography. We see how Pushkin develops from a hesitant and timid schoolboy, through a number of personal and social crises to writer who has found his identity in literature. His physical appearance was described by his contemporaries generally in very unfavorable terms. There was hardly any racism in the modern sense of the word in Russian early 19th century society, but neither was it any great asset to have a black background. Pushkin's genius was so great that his physical background becomes a totally irrelevant aspect compared to his achievements. However, somewhere deep hidden there is still this small, dark, ugly, hesitant, timid boy who must bow to His Majesty the Czar, who all his life must struggle with his smallness compared with the most powerful and formidable persons of his age. Remember what Alfred Adler said about the artists and the writers? They are the real leaders of mankind. When the mighty and the powerful are dead, the art and literature continue to live, and in the end, they define what was great and what was small, what was valuable and what was worthless in this specific age. Pushkin was struggling all his life. In the end, he was shot in a senseless duel. But this was only a beginning of Pushkin's legend. There is never-ending influence of his writings that is today felt all over the world, not only in Russia.